Thursday, January 19, 2012

Shakespeare Bibliography Findings

Did you know there's a bunch of different works that might be by Shakespeare but we don't know for sure if they are or not? Because that was news to me. They're called "Apocrypha" according to the World Shakespeare Bibliography. It's  interesting to think that I had never known about these poems/plays but had they been confirmed as works of Shakespeare we'd be studying them intensely (maybe).  It is crazy to think that sometimes all it takes to validate a poem is putting the author's name underneath it. Not every work speaks for itself but if we knew it was by Shakespeare we might think so. In one of my classes we talked about an experiment done in Cambridge in the 1920's in which students were given several poems to rate/grade without knowing who authored them. They were presented with some of Shakespeare's lesser known poems and not every poem received high marks. I would argue that had the student's known the author of the works they wouldn't dare give him poor marks. I found this hopeful because in my mind (and with good reason) the guy's a genius. It's hard to fathom anybody being able to build on his work but sometimes I think when we step back and think of it less like Shakespeare and more like writing we'll see that his works can be more approachable.



1 comment:

  1. That's so interesting! I never knew about the Apocrypha for Shakespeare. Thanks for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete