Sunday, March 25, 2012

Love's Labor's Lost Performance Analysis

Alright here's what I thought about everything.

I really really really liked the staging of things. I liked how they made the characters part of the audience at times and the audience a part of the play (especially when they pulled the guy from the front row to take the character's pictures and during intermission when they invited the audience up on stage). I thought it functioned well to help the audience feel engaged in what was going on. I like how characters would speak in the direction of the audience when discussing their emotions. I liked how some of the men/women would flirt with audience members via winks, waves, etc. during the play. I also really liked how they had so many entrance and exit points it kept it interesting. Probably one of my favorite staging moments was when the men were overhearing each others love letters, that was pretty great, and Biron's face was priceless.

As far as setting goes, I was really into the WWII setting and I loved the props on the stage. I thought the very beginning was brilliant when we could catch a glimpse into the dance hall through the opening and closing doors at the AFO canteen. I thought the set up of the bar/club/radio station was very well done and I thought the dressing room scenes added a lot.

Costuming. I actually know the costume designer - Chelsey Roberts - and I thought she did an excellent job.  I wished the dresses and hair styles of Jacquenetta, the Princess, and Rosaline would help separate them from the other women. The men's uniforms were well done, and I like how Costard's set him apart from the other men.

I definitely agree with Alicia that one of my favorite parts was the live band, it wouldn't have been the same. I was super impressed with how the band would get quieter when the AFO screen would come down, knowing it wasn't the screen that was making them quieter.

Casting. Costard was one of my favorites but probably just because what he was saying was funny and how he said it was even better.  I had a love hate relationship with Biron because I liked him a lot in some scenes but not as much in others. I thought Rosaline did a great job as well.

Overall, I really enjoyed the play though it did get a bit long towards the end. I think perhaps just because I knew what was coming and wanted to get it over with (does any body really like the ending?) And I know Dr. B addressed this in class so I did take what he said into account but I feel like the ending was less of a party and more of a tragedy than I expected...we'll just say I wanted to cry (but I didn't).

1 comment: