Sunday, March 25, 2012

Market Study Continued

Alright so here is a list of several of the teacher's I've emailed to help us get a grasp on what problems we need to address. I decided that if I don't hear back from them I'm just going to go to their offices at Timpview and asking them.

1.  David Sutherland - Honors English
M.A. St. John’s College 2009       B.A. BYU-English Teaching 1993
18 years at Timpview
"Teaching keeps me reading and learning and that keeps me excited about teaching. My favorite and frequent experience as a teacher is engaging in student-centered, in-depth, focused, text-based discussions about meaningful ideas encountered in great literature. "

Mr. Sutherland is really into traditional teaching methods - as you can probably tell from his "About Me." I'm hoping that we can get his feedback on classroom problems and help to remedy those problems through less traditional methods.

2.  Jeana Rock - English, Media Literacy
B.A English M.A. Theatre and Media Arts
Spanish Fork High School 1993-95     Timpview 1995- present
 "I love to read, write, garden, knit, crochet and sew. I love teaching teenagers because they help me stay young and always learning"

Mrs. Rock is way into media and way into using it in the classroom but not all of her students were ready for it because her lack of introduction. We had to blog in her classroom and many students were uncomfortable with that but I think with some help she'd be able to better ease them into it. I'd like to interview her about her experiences with media and about any resistance she's encountered. She's said that she'd be willing to help us in our project.

3. Alison Van Orden - AP Language and Composition, Journalism
M.Ed University of Phoenix – Education Counseling      B.A.  Brigham Young University–English Teaching
16 Years at Timpview High School AP English Language Instructor Thunderbolt Advisor(Timpview’s student newspaper) English Department Chair Member of Timpview’s Community Council
"I Love My Students!"

I didn't have Mrs. Van Orden in high school but she's one of the most well-respected English teachers. Her husband teachers German at the school as well. We could even interview him and ask about his thoughts on what we're doing. Or interview them together.

As for where we're looking to channel our work...

Our main focus is on UCTE as of right now because we feel it could be a really positive outlet for our work and something really appropriate and do-able. We could very feasibly present our ideas.

I also really like the idea of Classroom 2.0 because it seems like something where we could just channel a written version of work without having to tailor it too specifically to one audience because it seems like what they're doing is pretty broad. Which is very appealing.

We could also present at the UEA conference (Utah Education Association) in October as they have workshops on teaching methods, etc. I feel like their information is a bit more ambiguous, however, so I feel more comfortable working with the UCTE idea perhaps in conjunction with Classroom 2.0

As far as the whole teaser, trailer, content thing goes I think our teaser will be our miniature videos we've recorded. Our trailer will be a more polished video concerning student's wants/ needs in a teacher and the content will be our actual written document. or maybe a more mixed media approach as Alicia discussed.

Also I thought maybe for our teaser content we could do something like this..(obviously super rough)...and direct them to our blogs/link or something


No comments:

Post a Comment