Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Annotated Bibliography


My research at this point has many possible routes. I could look into how Shakespeare is being performed/adapted/translated in India and how the plays that are chosen are reflective of society’s ideals/values. I could look into how reading certain plays through the lens of an alternative society can completely change the way the play was viewed and demonstrate that the Shakespeare is universal but his plays still have prejudiced readings. I could look into how plays with heavily victimized characters are popular in areas that feel they are victimized. I have several possible directions that I could take my research and these sources are what led me to these thoughts. These sources are a part of the preliminary work that has taken place.

Shakespeare, William. Exhibition of Shakespeariana: April 2-May 31, 1916, the New York Public Library.  New York: New York Public Library, 1916. Print.

I found this source by browsing the shelves on the fifth floor of the Harold B. Lee Library. I was drawn to it because of the “Shakespeariana” title, knowing that this was the name of a major performing company in India. While the book wasn’t about the performing company I discovered that it could be of use because of how it discussed a list of possible books that Shakespeare may have read to aid him in writing his great works. This is relevant to my research because I am studying the way Shakespeare is studied and I think it is important to acknowledge who/what his predecessors were in order to see what made him the genius he is.


This source discussed some of the methods of digitally archiving Shakespeare.  It in particular reviewed one of my sources (before the project was complete) among other useful sources such as Shakespeare Quartos and Bardbox. I was referred to this source by Kaleigh, who searched through our library’s database and utilized its resources to find it. This relates to my topic by nature of being connected to sources involving Shakespeare in India, it pointed me to other useful services as well as reviewed their effectiveness, helping me discern which sources to use.

Trivedi, Poonam, and Ryuta Minami. Re-playing Shakespeare in Asia. New York: Routledge, 2010. Print.

This source is a monograph, focusing on how Shakespeare is adapted to Asian cultures. It contains perspectives from different professors and scholars, each explaining how the country/area that they are studying relates to and adapts Shakespeare. I found this source by looking through several Indian professor profiles and seeing their involvement in its making. I found it on amazon but the book ran upwards of 150 dollars so I requested it through the Universities InterLibrary Loan. This relates to my topic because it contains exclusive information about how Shakespeare is performed in India. 

Y. Huang, Alexander C. "Global Shakespeares." Global Shakespeares. MIT, 2012. Web. 15 Feb. 2012. <http://globalshakespeares.org/>.

This source has been one of the most useful as it is a database of video and performance archives of Shakespeare worldwide. It is relevant to my project because of the videos and information it offers that encompasses Indian portrayal of Shakespeare. I was referred to this site by its co-creator Alex Huang after a Professor Parks of Stanford referred me to him. He responded to an email with a brief response to my questions about Indian performance and a promise that all my questions could be answered on his website.

No comments:

Post a Comment