Monday, February 6, 2012

Books and Research

This weekend I headed to the Shakespeare-section of the library and picked up a few books.

1. The Ophelia Syndrome (Thomas Plummer)
2. Pericles
3. Othello
4. A random book of Shakespeare explanations/footnotes/definitions etc.

When I finished checking everything out my husband just said, "Oh no." "What?" "You have a bunch of books, this means I'm not going to see you for a while." I'll admit, I'm a book-junkie, and I'd read a hundred books at a time if I could. But that's not the point of this post. I'm trying to work on the Shakespeare breadth requirement. I've never read Othello or Pericles, and I don't know hardly anything about Pericles, so I wanted to get into some new things. I heard about "The Ophelia Syndrome" a while back and I've wanted to read it since. It was written by a BYU professor and he applies the sort of Ophelia Syndrome to university life and says that if we let our professors spoon-feed us information we'll never learn for ourselves or reach individuation. It's pretty cool so far.

Othello serves a double duty, breadth, and help with research. I've been reaching out to several different friends that I have in India, interacting on blogs about India and looking at the journals that are being published from India and I feel like I've kind of hit a research wall because I'm just waiting for responses, and I know they'll come, I've just got to be patient.

ps. this doesn't have anything to do with anything but we got our wedding pictures back (finally) and I'm so stoked. This guy was one of the favorites...


1 comment:

  1. I want to hear what you think of the Ophelia Syndrome, I heard it was good too. Also your picture is incredibly cute. You guys look great.

    ReplyDelete