Monday, February 6, 2012

Shakespeare: A Graphic Novel

Okay, first, "graphic novel" sounds like something that contains inappropriate content. So, even though it's wrong (Sorry Cortnie) I'm just going to refer to it as a comic book, or just a book, or just a novel, from here on out. My mom called me to let me know that I had a package at there house (I guess I neglected to switch my amazon default address) and asked me what was in it. "Oh it's a book for my Shakespeare class." "What book?" "Well, it's a comic book." "Oh, that's funny." "I'll come pick it up later." And I did. And when I was opening the package I had no idea what to expect.

First thoughts: there are way more words in this than there are in comic books in the movies, what's a graphic novel? Do I have to bring this with me to school? I like how they drew Ophelia.

I thought, as a whole, it was pretty clever, pretty engaging, but I think what I was lacking was some of the sophistication I feel when I'm holding a hard copy of Shakespeare. And I know that's dumb, and prideful and whatnot but there's something about just holding a play by Shakespeare that allows people to judge you, and in a good way; you want people to know what you're reading, and you may even want to talk to them about it. For me, reading Shakespeare online, or in a book that looks more like Spider-man and less like Hamlet is weird,  I feel like I'm keeping my Shakespeare fetish a secret. Prideful matters aside, I think graphic novels and comic books are a great way to start engaging a wider group of people in Shakespeare.

No comments:

Post a Comment