Sunday, February 26, 2012

Tweethis Statement

Alright...here's what I posted on my Facebook last week..

Hi friends! Need a little bit of feedback for one of my classes..my super simplified thesis is that Shakespeare's works are best understood by engaging them in intellectual discussion rather than reading them in isolation. Thoughts? If you wanna know a bit more about this whole "bring your school work to facebook thing" click on the link. Thanks :)  (I linked to the tweethis post on Shakespeare Unbound)

I was surprised to find that getting responses took some digging. One Facebook friend responding by saying

"I completely agree with your thesis! Shakespeare's works dig below the surface and are hard to understand due to that fact and the difference in the way we speak from then to today. By talking to other people you are able to see different perspective and greater your personal understanding. Intellectual discussion would never be destructive to one's understanding, rather it would heighten it."

This was really encouraging to me, I'll admit, it's nice to be agreed with, to get some feedback from fellow college students. My post on Twitter (due to the fact that I don't regular Twitter) didn't produce anything of substance. 

Because I didn't get as many posts as I expected, I reached out to friends via Facebook message and tried to get feedback that way.  It was interesting because I felt more invested in what I was doing. Rather than just posting a status I was sending individual messages and asking for feedback. This, I haven't seen the reciprocity of quite yet but a friend told me she was having trouble accessing my facebook, "why can't I click on your name, are you a ghost?" Not sure what's going on with that but as a final ditch effort to get some feedback I took my thesis to fellow English majors outside of our class. We were looking at Pope's "Rape of the Lock," trying to pick apart every detail and each of us trying to understand what Pope was saying. We were engaging in a conversation, each of us bringing our own respective biases to the reading. I realized that we were doing precisely the thing that I'm encouraging in my paper. The girls I discussed with helped me to understand the poem better in the twenty five minutes that we talked than I ever understood in my many readings of the poem, trying to dissect it on my own. The way that intellectual conversation works helps us to not only understand others ideals but to form our own, to formally take what was once a thought and attach it to words. I shared with them my thesis and they too recognized that what we were doing was case in point of the value of discussing literature. I may not have had a ton of feedback on social networks but everyone that did give me feed back was involved in what I was doing and that felt good. It gave me the confidence to keep writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment