Monday, February 13, 2012

Othello

Alright, for those who read my last post, you'll understand my interest in Othello...for those of you who haven't, read it, and you'll understand.  So in reading I, of course, had to make some character cards. Once I get home, I'll post pictures. Guys, seriously, if you haven't tried this you've got to. It's the only way I can keep characters straight, before I felt like I hit a wall when the fifth character was introduced "another one?!" but I can handle it now. What am I thinking so far? here's the gist.
Iago: yucky villain, really crummy guy
Desdemona: adventurous, oddly innocent, victim
Othello: falling from grace
Emilia: bitter old hag. I know she's not old enough to call a hag. But still.
Roderigo: go read a book or something

Brief, and perhaps insufficient, but those were my first impressions. 

Alright, themes. This is what is really my main interest because I'm thinking it is the themes of the plays that sparks Indian scholars to teach them. Othello discusses loyalty as he is betrayed by his men and friends. Othello falls under the illusion that nobody can be trusted. There is a theme of familial loyalty as Desdemona defies her father to marry Othello...something that reminded me of the women in India who defy arranged marriage. There is this idea of the bleakness of marriage. Tonight I'll be looking at some Indian reproductions of the play and I'll let you know which themes the focus on. Expect more on this tonight or tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! While doing some research on my own topic I found an article, posted through the BYU library that actually discussed Shakespeare adaptations in Asia (among other things) I'm not sure if you've found this resource yet but I'd be happy to send you the link!

    ReplyDelete